Monday, March 12, 2007

Boarding at St Sauveur


I've been wanting to go boarding again before the end of the season, as not sure when I'll get the chance again, so when Jez started pestering me at the start of the week to rent a car, I didn't take a massive amount of pursuding. So it seemed like there was going to be a few of us, so went for the full size bad boy Impala, thinking that, that would fit a few boards, equipment and 3-4 people comfortablly... Of course it will.



So I pick up the car, have a little drive around to get used to it, and it's not long before I'm on the freeway (still want to call it Motorway!), opening it up hitting 150 kph without even thinking, of course I was in full control, I was just getting it out of my system.

I think the reason the car was so fast might of had something to do with how light it was because of LACK OF PEOPLE in the back. Jez, the guy that had been on my case all week to come boarding, not to mention on Friday night during cocktails, decided he would follow along later and not travel with us, not only that but the O-ROC (Nick), had kindly brought along a load of stuff for Jeff and I to borrow and didn't need the space in my tank. So it felt like I was trying to prove something, you know what they say about men and the size of their cars...

SO... Off we go at 7.30am needlessly poluting the enviroment in a tank that didn't need to be so big, you can kind of understand my reason to take advantage of the speed now.



We get to St Sauveur, Jeff fighting the need to sleep and keeping me entertained with his road trip CD, pick up some boots and a day pass for both mountains, St Sauveur and Avila, that had a variety of runs for the beginner, intermediate and expert. As well as a park for Nick to play in, with him pulling off some impressive tricks on the way down, maybe I'll try that next time.

Ok Nick and Jeff take me up to the intermediate runs, as they keep telling me that the beginner slopes don't help when you are learning. Fair enough I still fall over, but it's getting easier, got my falling leaf technique down now, even getting down one complete run without falling over until the very end and to be honest that was probably because I couldn't believe I had actually done it. Worked out that I am definately a regular boarder, as Nick thought I might be goofy (right foot forward), but turned out I felt a lot more comfortable the regular way.

Again Nick was great helping me out, taking time out from his fun to help me, but after a couple of runs, I was quite happy to do my own thing and work it out myself, him and Jeff had given me all the tool's I needed to teach myself now. I need to trust my instincts a bit more as everytime I started picking up any decent amount of speed I'd slow down. But as Nick said I just need to find a speed I'm comfortable with, not as comfortable on my towside turns yet, but managed it a few times so I'm confident that once my backside has healed I'll be ready to go again.


Jeff fell asleep at the table a couple of times, but will let him off as he hadn't slept, that 4 nights of drinking and the clocks going forward didn't help. The conditions where postcardable, and on the few times I've been boarding this was by far the most amazing, the blue sky's and sun at the top of the mountain had to be seen to be believed.

You can see more of the pictures from Sunday here, not that many, as kept forgetting to take them. Was having too much fun, but think I'll be paying for that in the morning
 Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, we're very jealous that you got out boarding! We hope to get Shamus on a snowboard next year. Then, maybe we'll start getting out again!!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it. Quebec has some great hills. We took advantage of them before the kids. You have to try Sutton (the Townships) and Le Massif (near Quebec City). My favorite hills. Can we join you next year?

Stacey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

How Many Visits
Free Webcounter